sugar is my cocaine

Is it even possible? Quitting sugar? Substituting refined for more natural sugars? We all know we need to cut back on sugar but how ? I have no idea, it seems to have wedged its way into every food group I know, SugarfreeMe, was on Day 17 of being sugar-free and I’m in awe.

I am impatiently waiting for my new counselling / self help book “I Quit Sugar Cookbook” by Australian Sarah Wilson to be released in a few weeks. She has had several e-books released already and is proving to be a gem in causing a major re-think down under with contributors such as Gwyneth Paltrow, Australian legend Maggie Beer and Cali health guru Mark Sisson. Packed with 108 sugar-free recipes and ingredients such as Rice Malt Syrup and Organic Agave Syrup to replace the overly refined white sugars and those horrible sweeteners. I can’t wait.

The I Quit Sugar Print Edition is a step-by-step program for getting off sugar, complemented by recipes to keep you off it for good. The program will lead you through the various stages of detox and adjustment, with advice on how to lose weight and kill cravings. The recipes are designed for minimal fuss and expense and to supply you with ideas for breakfast (to replace the cereal and fruit salad with yoghurt), kids’ treats, sweet treats that can be made in less than five minutes, cakes, desserts and smoothies. I show you how to stock your fridge, pantry and freezer with sugar-free food ready to go.

It’s not all doom and gloom though, dark chocolate boasts to contribute to cardiovascular health with natural antioxidants, dark chocolate and cocoa sit in the same good-for-you category as green tea and blueberries. My absolute favourite is Lindt Excellence 70% Cocoa Bar is just divine but I digress.

If anyone else is struggling on the sugar train like me, Chromium Blood Sugar Balance Supplements work a treat in controlling cravings whilst you start to integrate changes into your pantry and daily habits. They are essential trace minerals important in maintaining blood sugar levels within the healthy range and are shown to benefit people who consume a high sugar diet.

Advertisements

9 Comments Add yours

1. Yes I’ve been at the no sugar thing but I have had two slip ups in that time! Just have to keep trying I am 110% addicted to sugar, might have to try the chromium balance!

1. palomino72 says:

two slip ups is fine ! Yes try the chromium and let me know what you think 🙂 How are you doing this week ?

2. Kailee Grace says:

I was addicted to sugar for my whole 20’s, often eating bags of candy at a time and nothing else. I would say it was sugar addiction and eating disorder equally now that I think about it. Quitting took a lot of will power and many sweet food substitutions such as carrots, dates, fruit, etc. to successfully quit sugar for good. I did not allow myself to eat sugar free candy either as I didn’t think it would help my brain make the association that candy is not necessary. My skin now that I no longer eat sugar looks a thousand times better, I never have sugar crashes, and I finally, finally got free of what I think was a true addiction.

1. palomino72 says:

WoW, that’s fantastic ! Congratulations. Im meeting more and more people who have quit and succeeded and thankfully I seem to be doing well so far (baby steps). I have been drinking Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (2Tbsps) with warm water and it has helped stop sugar cravings immensely. Thanks so much for sharing Kailee 🙂

3. Virginia Beowulf says:

I love your photo for this post! Sadly I am not aspiring to give sugar up just yet, but I am interested by the stats on your chart! I will never eat a pop tart again! They taste like cardboard anyway 🙂

1. palomino72 says:

Hi Virginia, Great sugary lips hey 🙂 there’s another infograph that shows there are 10tspn’s of sugar in one can of coke :/

4. A says:

Oh wow, this is something that’s been guilting me for a while, my massive sugar intake! The Sarah Wilson book seems like an excellent resource, and I’ll have to check that out, so thank you.

5. Snapfairy says:

I certainly need to cut back…love sweets a little too much! Great photo for the post : )

6. Reblogged this on susanne287 and commented:
    This is the single best healthy lifestyle change you can make. Give up sugar! Sugar is a source of all disease known to man. Sugar causes in inflammation in the body that leads to disease. Extra benefit, radiant skin!