Baked Eggplant and Ricotta Rolls
- 2 eggplants
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- Olive Oil
- Tomato sauce, I used Delmaine Garlic and Olive Oil
- Gluten free bread crumbs, about 1/2 cup,
- 1 cup ricotta,
- Grated zest of 1 lemon juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp. basil leaves,
- 1/4 tsp. Himalayan pink salt
1. Trim the stem end of each eggplant. cut the eggplant lengthwise into thin slices. Sprinkle the eggplant on both sides with pink salt, layer them in a colander, and let stand for 1 hour. Press the moisture from the eggplant and blot them dry with paper towels. Pour olive oil to a heavy saucepan or large skillet and heat . Place 3 to 4 eggplant slices in the hot oil and cook until the slices take on some colour, 3 to 4 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the slices to a colander (or paper-towel lined plate) to drain. Repeat with remaining slices.
2. Meanwhile, make the stuffing. In a bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, ricotta, lemon zest, juice, basil and salt.
3. Preheat the oven. Spoon tomato sauce mix into a medium-sized baking dish till bottom of dish is covered in a thin layer. Place a spoonful of filling at one end of each of the eggplant slices. Roll the slice around the filling and place it seam-side down in the dish on top of the tomato sauce. Bake until the edges of sauce around the sides of the dish are dark and the rolls are nicely caramelised, 20 to 25 minutes. Add the Parmesan cheese about 5 minutes before removing from the oven.
Homemade Bread Crumbs
In a bowl tear 2 slices of gluten free bread for breadcrumbs, 2 T. olive oil and a pinch of himalayan pink salt and 1/2 tsp. herbs of your choice and ricotta cheese.
I’ll post a few of my most favourite and extremely simple gluten free recipes ! These are also on my Pinterest site: