sobering words

White_Lilies_2560x1600_173

Sir Paul Holmes a Veteran Radio and Television Broadcaster in New Zealand for the past 23 was often a controversial figure described as charming, challenging and entertaining who interviewed thousands, passed away this morning surrounded by his family, aged 62, after a long fought battle with prostate cancer.

Known as an absolute workaholic who fronted his own television current affairs show rising through the ranks of the broadcasting world from the 1970’s claiming headlines with a string of public relationships and divorces. Philanthropically he championed The Stellar Trust an organisation set up to fight Methamphetamine or ‘P’ which he helped launch in the midst of his adopted daughter Millie Elder’s very public battle with the drug and The Paralympics for 20 years.

He certainly packed a lot into his 62 years becoming a millionaire, pilot surviving two plane crashes, philanthropist, intrepid traveller and a loving husband and Dad. I’ll always remember seeing him back in the 90’s hugging Eve Van Grafhorst, a little Australian girl whose family had to emigrate to New Zealand because she had AIDS and the schooling system back in the 1980’s wouldn’t allow her to attend. She said she had felt unlovable and horrible after not being able to attend school so he picked her up and gave her a big hug. I have attached a documentary made on her if you click on her name.

His resume and list of accomplishments are long and distinguished but what captured me were his words in an interview recently asking if he had any regrets in life, commented ” I wish I had spent more time at home with my family”.

Rest in Peace …

Advertisements

10 Comments Add yours

1. Christina says:

As they say, no ever says on their death bed, “I wish I had spent more time at the office.”

1. palomino72 says:

Exactly my point Christina, its a horrible thought isn’t it. Thanks for sharing your thought 🙂

2. Brook says:

Beautiful photo and tribute. Is this flower the Lily of the Valley? That’s the birth flower for May, my daughter’s birth month. I’ve read the flower is shaped like teardrops.

3. Brook says:

And the flowers look like a family. A wonderful choice of photo.

1. palomino72 says:

Thanks Brook, it is the Lily of the Valley and so beautiful. I had no idea there were certain flowers celebrating the months of the year. I didn’t really think of the flower as looking like a family. That’s a lovely way of seeing it. Thanks again for your ever poignant comments brook 🙂

4. Delirium says:

Love the flowers!!

5. seeker says:

RIP Sir Paul Holmes. Snow drops are now poking all over the garden in Vancouver, Canada

6. Yes, there are few sets of words more poignant than ‘wish I’d spent more time with my family’. A dreadful waste, what lies behind them, sadly. I was guilty of it, too, when my sons were young. You try to earn money to give them a reasonable lifestyle (no, not a rich one!) and, in doing so, sacrifice the very thing you most want to achieve. Still, they have grown up to be beautiful young men and I love them more than life itself. They are twins on the verge of 22 yo. Like chalk and cheese which I think is good. But, one has just moved out of home and the other may not be far off that, either. So, now I can sit and repent at my leisure that when I can make more time for them they have little left to share with me. My fault, my burden. But at least when we are together it’s a relaxed and loving relationship. For that I am eternally grateful.

1. palomino says:

Bless you, I think so many people suffer the same thing. Especially fathers who want nothing more than to provide the best for their families. At least you woke up and realised it, unlike many. In my experience missed opportunities / broken relationships can always mend and flourish no matter what we’ve been through. I appreciate your comment David.